Sunday, July 10, 2011

Baby Legs!!

So...I love baby legs.  But they are expensive.  So I searched the net and found a good "how too" and gave it a try.   The tutorial is here.  I did mine a bit different, but once I was done found out there was a reason she did her cuff the way she did.  When I do my next pair I will do them exactly her way and show you the difference.

So to start I went to target and got some women's socks...for $2.50.  There were more options for more money but I liked these ones.  


Next I cut up the sock.  Cut at the heal and toe like below. 



Now here is where I did things different.  I cut the foot part of the sock in half this way...




Then folded it over like this to make the cuff.  It works, but the cuff isn't smaller than the rest of the leg...you know like a regular cuff on baby pants would be. 




Alright...now pin RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER.  lol  It will be bad if you don't have right sides together. Also pinning is important here because the fabric rolls and you want them to all be lined up together. Don't be afraid to use a lot of pins and push those suckers all the way down like in the picture below.  




Now we will start sewing!  I used a zig zag stitch so that the fabric could still stretch. It is really important that you try not to stretch out the fabric while you stitch.  Here is how it looked on my machine.  It's a bit tricky so take it slow. 




And now all stitched!  I trimmed down the extra a little bit so it wouldn't be as bulky underneath.




And the finished result!  See how the cuff isn't smaller than the rest of the leg?  Yeah that will be fixed next time around. lol  




And now my adorable model...Brady used them upside down this morning which works just fine since the cuff was to big.  And yes...she always looks surprised.  :o)




And thats that!  Once I make the other pair I will show you the difference.  :o)  

1 comment: